Puree of Carrot Soup
Servings: About 12 cups
A slow saute brings out the natural sweetness of carrots and onions, which are then combined with apple, honey, fresh herbs and an optional homemade curry powder. Homemade chicken stock and homemade yogurt are then added, providing depth of flavor and a great mouthfeel.
3 onions, medium-sized, large diced
3 pounds carrots, peeled and large sliced
1-2 tart/sweet apples, such as Fuji, peeled and large diced
8 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. honey
6 fresh thyme sprigs roughly chopped (or 1 tsp dried)
6 fresh sage leaves roughly chopped (or 1 tsp dried)
2 fresh rosemary sprigs roughly chopped (or 1/2 tsp dried)
1 Tbsp curry powder (optional)
4 Cups homemade chicken stock
2.5 Cups water
1/2 cup homemade plain yogurt (optional)
Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a 5- or 6-quart stock pot, melt butter on medium-high heat, add the onions and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occassionally.
- Add carrots, apple, honey, and herbs. Cook ~15 minutes, stirring occassionally.
- Add curry powder, if using, and cook 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and water and bring to a boil.
- Simmer, covered, about 30 minutes more, or until carrots and apple are soft.
- Turn off the heat and allow to cool for several minutes.
- Add the yogurt into the soup, and use a stick blender or blender to puree the soup.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- When ready to serve, bring the soup back to a simmer, serve and enjoy.
Colo Kitchen Personal Nutrition
Stephanie Colo Manning · www.colokitchen.com