SCD French Grated Carrot Salad with Lemon Dijon Vinaigrette
Servings: 12-13 cups
This is delicious – I can’t stop eating it and the leftovers only get better. Beta carotene is converted into vitamin A in your body – so important for a strong immune system. Great side dish for a crowd. Adapted from Once Upon a Chef.
5 pounds carrots, peeled and shredded (do not use pre-shredded matchstix; they are too thick and won’t absorb the vinaigrette well enough.)
10 finely sliced scallions (or 5 Tbsp finely chopped shallots)
2/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
3 Tbsp homemade mustard or Dijon with clean ingredients
5 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice (about 2-3 lemons, depending on size)
1/2 cup avocado oil
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 Tbsp honey
1.5 tsp sea salt
1.5 tsp black pepper
- Stand mixer w/ shredder attachment (4 mm med blade; not the coarse blade); or food processor with shredder plate
- Large bowl to catch carrots while shredding, and then to mix all together
- Shred carrots (use stand mixer attachment/food processor), accumulate in bowl.
- Add scallions and parsley and combine well.
- In 4-cup measuring cup, combine remaining ingredients to make vinaigrette.
- Pour vinaigrette into salad, toss well, taste, adjust seasoning, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve (great to make a few hours ahead; just re-toss and adjust seasoning upon serving).
Colo Kitchen Personal Nutrition
Stephanie Colo Manning · www.colokitchen.com