Chicken Fajita Salad
Organic, free-range chicken breast is marinated to infuse moisture, flavor and tenderness, then grilled, layered with caramelized, organic bell peppers and onions for sweetness, and topped with fresh organic tomatoes, Manchego and Cheddar cheese, and jalapenos. All served on a bed of crunchy lettuce. Of course, I love to double this recipe and enjoy the leftovers all week!
Marinade & Chicken
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (2 large lemons or 3 small)
3 Tbsp avocado oil
3 Tbsp white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder (or 4 cloves minced)
1/4 tsp dried rosemary (or 1 tsp fresh minced)
6 organic, free-range, boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 6 pounds)
4 green bell peppers, sliced into thin strips
4 medium sized yellow onions, sliced into thin strips
3 Tbsp avocado oil
1 generous-sized heads green leaf or romaine lettuce, thinly sliced or shredded
6 oz. manchego and/or cheddar cheese, shredded
3 plum or vine-ripened tomatoes, cored, seeded and finely diced
1-2 jalapenos, finely diced
Fresh homemade salsa of choice
- Gallon ziplock bag; 12” skillet; Outdoor grill
- Combine all marinade ingredients in ziplock bag, add chicken to bag, lay bag flat on sheetpan and refrigerate. Marinate at least 1 hour, up to 24 hours.
- Meanwhile, slice and chop bell peppers and onions.
- Heat oil in skillet on med-high heat, add peppers and onions, and saute for 3-5 min. Reduce heat to medium/low and saute ~30 min. more until soft, juicy and caramelized.
- While peppers and onions are caramelizing, prepare the rest of the toppings.
- When peppers and onions are done, they may be served immediately, or refrigerated and reheated with a bit more oil later.
- Remove chicken from refrigerator and allow it to temper for about an hour.
- Heat grill to high and scrape any leftover bits remaining on the grill.
- Lower heat to medium, and grill chicken for ~5-8 min. per side, until internal temperature reaches 165. Discard marinade.
- Remove from grill, cover with foil, and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Slice chicken and serve on a bed of shredded lettuce with all the toppings and enjoy!
Cooking for Health with Real, Whole Food
Stephanie Colo Manning
www.colokitchen.com · email@example.com · 703-539-COLO